Dr Kannan is an experienced and recognised sub specialist for Foot & Ankle disorders and surgery in Singapore & the region. He graduated from the National University of Singapore (MBBS) and underwent Advanced Specialty Training in Orthopaedic surgery in Singapore. He obtained his postgraduate qualification from the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh.
He was selected by the Ministry of Health (Singapore) to receive a HMDP scholarship to further his subspecialty fellowship training in Foot and Ankle Surgery in Switzerland and in the Netherlands where he trained in the field of lower limb reconstructive surgery with special emphasis on Foot and Ankle Reconstruction. During his fellowship training in Europe, Dr Kannan treated many patients for Foot & Ankle deformities correction, sports surgery and minimally invasive surgery (MIS) of the foot and ankle.
Prior to joining the private sector, Dr Kannan was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), Singapore. It was in TTSH that he helped to start the Foot & Ankle Division for Orthopaedic Department. He led the Foot and Ankle Division to spearhead and organised the First Regional Foot & Ankle Athroscopy course for ASEAN surgeons. In 2014, Dr Kannan left Tan Tock Seng to join the private sector where started and helmed the Centre for Foot and Ankle under Centre for Orthopaedic (CFO) from 2014 – Aug 2020.
He had published articles in international peer reviewed journals. His particular research interest is in cartilage regeneration and management of cartilage defects. He did the first successful case of artificial scaffold reconstruction in the ASEAN region for a talus osteochondral defect in 2013.
Playing an active role as a clinical educator, he is also a clinical Senior Lecturer of the Yong Loo Ling School of Medicine, National University of Singapore involved in undergraduate medical education in Singapore. He is also a faculty member of the National Healthcare Group Residency program, involved in the teaching of Residents. He is also an International Faculty member of the AO trauma group where he had taught in China, India, Thailand and Singapore. He is also passionate in developing the Foot & Ankle specialty in the region and has conducted numerous courses and has been invited as chairperson and faculty to various F&A courses and symposiums in Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong.
Dr Kannan is also the principal supervisor of the Singapore Medical Council accredited Foot & Ankle Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship program in Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He is also an appointed panel member of the Ministry of Health Singapore Diabetic Foot Workgroup Committee.
Active member of the following international societies
- American Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) – International member
- European Foot & Ankle Society (EFAS) – Ordinary member
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (BOFAS) – International member
- AO Trauma (AOT) – International faculty member
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) – International member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – International member
- Society for the Study of Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Foot & Ankle (GRECMIP) – International Member
- European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy (ESSKA) – International Member
Clinical expertise is in the following areas of Foot & Ankle surgery
- Sports injuries, ligament injuries & tendinopathies
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery for management of cartilage defects and impingement
- Forefoot deformity correction (Bunions and lesser toe deformities)
- Management of foot pain (metatarsalgia)
- Management of Diabetic foot ulcers, Charcot’s joints & wounds
- Management of fractures around the foot & ankle
- Correction of flatfeet & high arched feet
- Management of arthritis including Total Ankle Replacement and osteotomies